Harrington Continues to Leap Forward
Dear Harrington Family,
As we bring 2015 to a close, we look back on a year that was very challenging and very rewarding. Harrington continues to leap forward, as reinforced by recent accolades from the prestigious Leapfrog Group and so many other industry sources—and we plan to enhance our position as a preeminent community healthcare system in South Central Massachusetts and Connecticut.
Thanks to the hard work and dedication of our physicians, staff, Board of Directors leadership, and volunteers, along with generous donors throughout the 21-plus communities we serve, we can look back at our accomplishments that so many in our field call “truly remarkable.”
Our accolades keep coming on a local, regional, and national level. Indeed, we continue to be recognized as one of the leading healthcare systems in the nation in terms of quality, safety, and patient satisfaction. I am pleased to highlight many of our achievements below, but I want to preface this by saying we should be extra proud of maintaining our outstanding standards. And we should look forward to raising the bar even higher in 2016.
Year-round, Harrington keeps our communities healthy, with accelerated recent efforts to address growing behavioral health needs and the substance abuse crisis in our area.
Highlights of our accomplishments include:
January, February, March
- Ushered in a new era of community healthcare with the opening of our gleaming new Remillard Family Emergency Department at our campus in Webster.
- Recognized by the Commonwealth for achievements in our CHART (Community Hospital Acceleration, Revitalization, and Transformation) program.
- Launched Genetic Counseling Program for early cancer detection.
- Graduated to a lower-cost tier for Blue Cross and Blue Shield insurance plans in recognition of our efficient performance.
- Throughout the epic storms of the winter, we weathered the freezing cold and responded to rising demands presented due to debilitating colds.
April, May, June
- Wound Care Center received Center of Distinction Award from Healogics, Inc.
- Won top grades from Healthgrades for patient experience and patient safety.
- Earned an “A,” the highest possible score for hospital safety, for the seventh consecutive period from the Leapfrog Group.
- Awarded 4 stars for patient satisfaction from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS).
- Celebrated Mental Health Awareness Month with a 5K Color Walk/Run fund-raiser for our forthcoming inpatient behavioral health and substance abuse unit in Webster.
- Served as a major sponsor and participant at the “Pound of Cure” health event at Old Sturbridge Village.
- Launched an early-detection lung cancer screening program.
- Added X-ray and orthopedic services in our Spencer office.
- Started construction for our UrgentCare Express in Charlton.
- Elected new president of our Auxiliary.
July, August, September
- Received $10K from Janet Malser Humanities Trust for patient care equipment.
- Joined forces with 15-40 Connection as part of our cancer care awareness efforts.
- Our acclaimed Cancer Center at Harrington received accreditation from the American College of Surgeons for excellent patient care.
- Earned the Get with the Guidelines Gold Plus Award from the American Heart Association for stroke care
- UrgentCare Express opened in Charlton following ribbon-cutting and open house; it has since exceeded our projected volume.
- Received $20K from Southbridge Savings Bank for our behavioral health and substance abuse unit.
October, November, December
- Started rollout of our behavioral health program as part of $3.5 million grant awarded by the Mass. Health Policy Commission (HPC) to improve mental health and substance abuse services.
- Received $20K donation from Webster First Federal Credit Union and a $10K donation from Savers Bank to go toward the behavioral health and substance abuse unit.
- Received $150K from the Hyde Foundation and $25K from the Hospital Auxiliary for our behavioral health and substance abuse unit.
- Recognized for success in HPC Assessment Program.
- Recognized by Leapfrog as having the lowest C-section rates in Massachusetts.
- Earned Leapfrog’s highest safety score for the eighth time in a row.
- Earned Leapfrog’s coveted Top Hospital award third year in a row…only hospital in region and one of several in state to receive this award.
- Upgraded our Sleep Lab with sophisticated equipment and became most technologically advanced sleep facility in area.
- Physicians/staff. Last year, we added many outstanding PCPs and specialists to our healthcare system and to Harrington Physician Services, one of the area’s most robust outpatient physician groups. We also renovated many satellite physician offices and invested in other office and technology upgrades.
I can’t thank our physicians and staff enough, and we show our appreciation in part through our “TLC” Award event for physicians and monthly Stars Among Us recognitions for employees.
- Community and public relations. Addressing the healthcare needs of our neighbors starts by listening to our patients, families, colleagues, community organizations, and other constituents. In 2015, we elicited critical feedback through major market research studies as well as efforts with our Community & Government Relations committee, Patient and Family Advisory Council, and Harrington’s Employee Council. One result of our focus groups has been the production of more customized material for our growing Hispanic population.
We also launched a Resource Ambassadors at Harrington (RAH RAH) initiative that involves staff and patients in sharing healthcare news and information. This integrated program combines ongoing blogs, testimonials, videos, social media (including a new Twitter account and successful ad campaigns on Facebook and Google), speaking engagements, and an enhanced website. Media highlights include major feature stories in Worcester Telegram & Gazette, MD News, Hospital Newspaper, and many other outlets.
In addition, Harrington continued to expand its support for community causes through countless fund-raising walks, health fairs, and other venues. We participated in healthcare celebrations on-site and through ongoing community outreach with our popular Harrington on Wheels van, bringing free resources and screenings to our service area. Throughout the year, we were active at schools, houses of worship, senior centers, and civic associations.
- We improved our bottom line by $7 million over the previous year. We have more than doubled our revenue in the last eight years, and we plan to invest responsibly moving ahead, as guided by our Board. And we continue our legacy of being a nonprofit, independent healthcare institution.
Looking ahead, as noted above, a major initiative will be the opening of the much-needed inpatient psychiatric dual diagnosis unit in Webster referenced above, and we ask you to stay tuned for details about a major fund-raiser on May 21, 2016 to support this effort.
We’re also working to firm up plans to open more facilities and further expand our healthcare provider network.
We don’t rest on our laurels. With your help, we will move forward. Please stay connected with us on social media and our website!
Merry Christmas & Happy and Healthy New Year!
Ed Moore, President & CEO